Grid-o-Ween 2012: State of the Cosplay Address
Things that I am learning as I wander deeper and deeper into this soul-sucking nightmare world called Tron cosplay:
ABRAXAS (for NapoldeInLove)
- Because I am making the circuitry on Abraxas’ cape out of 2” straight non-bias reflective tape, I have had to create the pattern by essentially cutting a crazy-ass tangram puzzle from strips of tape and then assembling it along guidelines drawn on the cape in gold gel pen (which, by the way, works fabulously on pleather and wipes off perfectly with a damp cloth).
- Because of this, and because my machine’s foot likes to leave really unattractive scoring in the reflective coating on the tape, I had to revise my original plan and use heavy-duty fabric glue + hi-temp hot glue to apply the circuitry to the cape.
- I can only stand to work on said circuits for about an hour at a stretch before I start wanting to SPREAD THE PAIN to fucking anything within arm’s reach. I don’t know how y’all survived, Spicer and Pinky.
- That said, I have so far managed to complete the circuitry on the front of the cape without a single major fuck-up, and it actually looks really fucking good.
- FUCKING CIRCUITS.
[REDACTED] (for yours truly!)
- One of the really nice benefits of doing a shit ton of sewing for people is that I have a drawer and a half of scrap fabric to play with, and thus was able to turn a skin-tight long-sleeved black workout shirt I already had into a turtleneck using some scrap fabric I had from a previous project that just happened to perfectly match. That’s ten bucks and who knows how many hours wasted trying to find a suitable black turtleneck saved. Boo. YA. (So there’s one hint: it involves a black turtleneck).
- Apparently frisbees are seasonal merchandise? The only frisbee I was even able to find was an Angry Birds one at Toys R’ Us that was a.) a bit too big, and b.) $10. LOLno.
- God bless Dollar Tree, which just HAPPENED to have 2 or 3 cheap hot pink plastic frisbees that were a.) exactly the right size, and b.) a buck. (So there’s another hint: it involves a classic-style frisbee.)
- Yo Spicer and/or Pinky: Do I need to primer this thing before I paint it, or will just sanding it work okay?
- The silver/white reflective fabric I ordered (with Napol’s help) to do [REDACTED]’s circuit patterns with has not yet arrived. I am annoyed.
- Got some Super Sculpey to make a new [SPOILER] with, as I lost my original one at EC3. Hopefully it will turn out okay!
- Anyone know a good brick-and-mortar source for reflective beads/powder/paint? Decal film would also work, hell I’d probably prefer it, since it worked so well for the pattern on Pinky’s disc.